I have been in Toronto for 2 months now, away from home for 3, and I am not ashamed to say I’m a little homesick.
While I am having a blast here, there are times when you feel awfully alone in a big city by yourself. Sometimes it’s when people don’t understand me because of my accent. Sometimes it’s because I’m the only person alone at an event. Sometimes it’s because I see photos of my beautiful nieces who are growing up so far away from me!
Can you hear my heart breaking?
Okay – enough of all that feeling sorry for myself. After two months, here’s a run down of what I’m missing the most about home and what I’m liking the most about this fine city of Toronto!
Things I am missing about Australia…
|Expensive but soooooo worth it!|
- Vegemite easily accessible and at a normal price – $8.50 for a tiny jar?! C’mon!
- Chocolate frogs – No Canadians, they’re not just some magical thing from Harry Potter.
- Crispy M&M’s – seriously, what is up with that?!
- Beaches – why, oh why did I always take them for granted?
- Cheddar cheese that isn’t bright orange – enough said.
- Dry heat & not so cold cold- humidity is forever the enemy.
- All product labels being in english – French, why must you confuse me so? No, I didn’t want low fat cheese. No, I didn’t want gluten free pasta. I wish you would make your labels clearer!
- Not being considered ridiculously fair skinned – hello normality!
- Public transport – oh, the TTC is far from perfect but it’s a sure lot better than Adelaide Metro.
- The Lindy Hop scene – all the swing dancing, all the time!
- The beautiful old buildings and cute houses – they’re just plain adorable.
- Self serve ticket machines at the cinemas – because when you go to a movie alone there’s a very high chance you do not wish to speak to anyone.
- Anonymity – walking down a main road with the back of your pants completely undone and your underwear on display for all to see becomes slightly less embarrassing when nobody knows who you are. Slightly…
- Peameal Bacon Sandwiches – the holy grail of bacon sandwiches!
|Peameal Bacon Sandwich from St Lawrence Market|
This trip is halfway over – only 2 months left of the BGC Diploma Programme, and 3 months until I’ll be back knocking on Australia’s door begging them to let me back in. This time is flying by!
Look out Australia, I’ll be back before you know it!